Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Texas Redneck Dip

For those of you who know me, you know that I love TexMex food and will find any chance I can to make it. If I had my choice, hubby and I would eat tacos, chili, and fajitas throughout the week. However, that's a killer on the system and the waistline after a while :). Texas Redneck Dip fits right in with my TexMex theme...your non-Texan guests will thank you too.

My Aunt Margaret, who lives in Dallas, introduced me to this hot dip that she serves when I come to visit. It is truly out of this world and I can't imagine not sharing it with the LLOR fans. My hubby LOVES it. The original name is Indian Bread Dip and some of you may know it as that. However, a friend of mine, Deb, renamed this dish as Texas Redneck Dip after I brought it to a party and her hubby scraped the bread bowl clean with Fritos. What gets more Texan and redneck than Fritos and cheesy goodness? Anyways, that's a little history behind this you-won't-want-to-step-away-from-it-at-a-party dip.

Most everything you can find on the local market or substitutions that are close enough. One thing that you MUST have is Worcheshire sauce. I found it at our commissary, though, if you find it on the local market besides the U.S., please let me know!!

Texas Redneck Dip
8 oz cream cheese (I use 1 of the larger rectangle containers of Presidente Fraidoux fromage nature. This is the closest thing to cream cheese in Tunisia)
8 oz sour cream (Onetina or creme fraiche)
16 oz shredded cheddar (Ahh, I missed my cheddar cheese for so long and now everything I make has it in it. Seriously.)
7 oz canned green chillies, diced (You might be able to substitute a fresh milder pepper. I'd recommend cooking it a little first before putting it into the recipe).
1 bunch of chopped green onions (They are in season in the Winter in Tunisia. If you can't get green, go with another color of onion.)
1 TBsp Worcheshire
1 package of sliced ham, chopped (Any ham will do. I end up buying this from the commissary since we can only get jambon de dinde here. Do not use this in this dish. It won't taste the same.)

Optional: 1 round or oblong shaped loaf of bread, whole
Fritos, crackers, sliced baguette, or something to eat the dip with. TUC plain crackers work well too!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything together. One option is to put into mix into a pie plate or casserole dish to bake. The other option is to cut the center of the loaf of bread out and shape like a bowl. Be sure to leave enough of the bread so that the dip does not melt through the sides or bottom. Bake uncovered for 1 hour - 1 hour, 15 minutes. If the top starts to brown too quickly, tent foil over the top of the dish. Serve warm with Fritos, crackers, or bread pieces.

Enjoy! I'll bet you this one will be a hit at your next party. Actually, I'll guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment