Thursday, January 28, 2010

Herbed Barley!!

Ahh, I see you decided to try it! Barley is a great alternative to rice and if you are a fan of brown rice, you'll like it as well. I pulled the idea for the spices from http://www.foodtv.com/ since I had never cooked barley before and really had no clue on what to put it in.


You can use fresh herbs instead of dried, but I was limited in my choices. This recipe makes enough for 3 -4 people. As I mentioned before, I purchased the barley locally from Carrefour (ahh, just like Super Walmart, but you can't find any Dallas Cowboys gear).

Herbed Barley
3/4 cup barley
2 and 1/4 cups water
Thyme
Parsley
Salt
1 Bay leaf
2 tsp olive oil


Rinse barley thoroughly in a strainer to remove any extraneous grit. I found the step necessary with the barley purchased locally. Put barley and water in a pot. Add bay leaf, some parsley, thyme, and salt to the water and set to boil. Upon boiling, reduce heat and simmer barley for 30 minutes or until tender. If water remains after barley is done, strain water. Add 2 tsp of olive oil. Serve with Chicken and Mushroom dish.

Try this LLOR fans. I think you'll enjoy this dish, even by itself. For more nutritional information on barley, go to www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5680/2

No comments:

Post a Comment