Sunday, January 10, 2010

Crunchy Little Cornbread

Football playoff season brings out more options in football festivity foods. Along with chili (See our Chili recipe), cornbread is one of those things that just goes. Prior to being in Tunisia, I'd pick up a Jiffy pack at Wegman's, mix it up, and throw it in the oven. Sorry, no Jiffy at Carrefour or Monoprix!

The recipe uses all local ingredients. REALLY! And I'd be hard pressed if you told me you can't find them. It's a recipe that I pulled out of, you guessed it, Faithful Red (aka, Betty Crocker Cookbook). And folks, I'm not making money off of the endorsement!! This cornbread is SUPER EASY. Almost as easy as Jiffy, but I think it tastes a heck of a lot better. Also, I've baked mine in the oven. For those of you who are true cast iron skillet fans, I'm sure you could adapt the recipe. But, I make no guarantees to how it turns out.

Crunchy Little Cornbread

1 cup of milk (I used skim, but fuller fat ones would work too)
1 egg
1/4 cup of butter, melted
1 and 1/4 cup of cornmeal (I used fine grain 'semoule')
1 cup of flour
1 TBsp of baking powder
1/2 cup of sugar (ouch. I know. if you prefer yours a little less sweet, try decreasing this amount)
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the milk, egg, and melted butter. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until moist. Do not over mix as it will be a little lumpy. Pour into a greased 9X9 pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown.

Really, could this be any easier? I have some sitting in my kitchen that's getting wrapped up for tomorrow. If you are a cornbread purist, try it by itself. Don't like it with chili? It makes a great snack with a little butter and honey.

Now get back to watching football.

No comments:

Post a Comment