Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sloppy Joes, Slop, Sloppy Joes....

Ahh, Adam Sandler...you know you love that song.

If you were born in the 70's, you ate sloppy joes for dinner. My mom made these every week and somehow I never got used to the taste. I think it was the green bell peppers which is not one of my favorites. Anyways, this recipe comes from my wonderful Hungry Girl cookbook and I've modified it a bit. The hubby loves these and I think you will too.

You can also use this mixture to combine with some rice and make stuffed peppers, especially if you are trying to cut the bread out of your diet. I've done it both ways, but think it goes best with a nice sesame seed Mrs. Baird's hamburger bun.

Sloppy Joe's
1lb ground beef
1/2 cup white, yellow, or red onions, diced
1/2 cup of red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1 and 1/4 TBsp of Splenda (This is Hungry Girl's lower cal add in. If you want, use sugar instead)
1TBsp of steak seasoning (I use Head's County which I get from Texas. It's my favorite!!!)
Dash of salt
1TBsp Worcestershire sauce
1TBsp red wine vinegar (I would strongly encourage the use of this type of vinegar only because I think it gives this recipe its 'zing'.)
14 oz tomato sauce
2TBsp tomato paste
Hamburger buns

Heat large pan to medium heat. Break up ground beef and begin to cook. Mix steak seasoning, salt, and Splenda in a small bowl and add to beef. Stir and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add peppers and onion and stir in with beef mixture. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until beef is completely browned. Add Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir and continue cooking for about 5 minutes. Serve on hamburger type buns.

Easy, huh? So next time your family sings for sloppy joes, give this recipe a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment