Friday, March 5, 2010

Awesome Lettuce Wraps

You know 'em. You love 'em. If you are an Asian food lover like me, you have eaten at P.F. Chang's in the states and ordered their lettuce wraps. Well, I found a healthier version in my Hungry Girl cookbook (check out http://www.hungry-girl.com/ for ideas on how to trim some calories on your favorite dishes), but changed it up a bit due to what I found at my local grocery store. These turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I think the key to this dish is having an Asian section at your grocery store. Even in Tunis, we have one with the basic sauces, noodles, etc.. The recipe is for how I made it, which is different from Hungry Girl's. This is definitely something your family will love. This makes enough for 2 people for a dinner.

Lettuce Wraps
1 and 1/2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into chunks
1/2 cup of carrots, cubed
1 cup of bean sprouts, drained (Yep, I found this at Carrefour)
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce (If you can get the low sodium type. I think mine came from the commissary or from my original stash from the states.)
1TBsp brown sugar (I'm a baker, so I always have this on hand. If you can't get it, I would suggest using honey or regular sugar)
1TBsp of sweet chili sauce (The original recipe calls for garlic chili sauce, but I couldn't find it.)
1 clove garlic, minced (If you use the sweet chili sauce)
Sprinkle of ginger powder (Or 1 tsp grated fresh)
Shake of chili flake (Use if you like a little extra kick)
1/2 cup of green onions, sliced into small pieces
Several medium washed lettuce leafs
Extra sweet chili and peanut satay sauce (These are extra, but I was going through my fridge and needed to get rid of these misc. sauces. Hubby and I both thought the wraps tasted better with a little bit on top of each wrap.)
***The original recipe calls for 1 cup of water chestnuts, cubed. I was unable to find these ANYWHERE and I subbed in the carrots to give a little crunch. Please, please, please use them if you have them. ***

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, sweet chili sauce, garlic, ginger and chili flake in a small bowl. Mix well to make your sauce. I ended up making double BECAUSE my Asian recipes never have enough sauce. In a wok or large fry pan, combine cooked chicken, bean sprouts, carrots, and soy sauce mix (and water chestnuts if you are using 'em). Heat through for about 4-6 minutes. Throw in green onions another minute. Serve hot in the lettuce leaves and top with peanut satay sauce or extra chili sauce. Makes about 6-10 leaf servings.

Hope you enjoy this one as much as hubby and I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment