Friday, August 21, 2009

Going Bananas Bread

So you bought bananas last weekend and no one in the house has touched them. While your valiant effort for your family to eat healthy was a bust, your bananas don't have to be. Some of you may know this trick for using up brown 'nanas. It's personally one of my favorites and makes a great quicky b-fast for your hubby.

Speaking of hubbies, I made banana bread for mine on our first date 14 years ago. That batch was so undercooked, it's a miracle he kept dating me! This recipe is my redemption for that underbaked loaf and has only failed 1X which I will explain later.

I have been able to find most of the ingredients locally with the exception of the vanilla. In Tunis, I have been told of vanilla powder but have not been brave enough to try it. You might want to check out http://www.joyofbaking.com/Vanilla.html for additional information.

1 stick margarine/butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 small bananas, mashed (I have used fewer and the recipe turns out fine)
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sour cream (For those of you w/o sour cream, you can try a thick natural greek yogurt or even a creme fresh for this. I have also used a product called raieb which is usually substitued in other recipes for buttermilk.)

Cream margarine/butter with sugar. Add eggs and bananas, mixing well. Add dry ingredients, then sour cream and vanilla. Pour into greased/floured large loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Bread is ready when inserted knife comes out clean. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes.

The first time I made this recipe here, the bread came out so flat. I would recommend using a little more baking soda if this happens to you, even if it's just a 1/2 to 1 tsp more. It could make all the difference.

Enjoy and if you have any info on the vanilla powder vs extract, please send a comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment