Sunday, August 30, 2009

Can I interest you in a Waffle?

You all know you have one. That waffle maker that you registered for. The waffle maker your Aunt Eunice bought for your wedding day. The waffle maker that you pledged you make fresh waffles for your new husband every Saturday or Sunday morning. It's now the waffle maker that sits in the back of your kitchen cabinet collecting dust along with the other miscellaneous appliance that you thought you couldn't live without while registering at Macy's. Mine is the stick blender which I keep toting from place to place as I've convinced myself that I might need it to make soup some day. ANYWAYS.....

I have an easy waffle batter that everyone in your house will enjoy. Granted, it's not as easy as L'eggo my Eggo, but when you are limited like I am, you'll be be happy that you mixed up the weekend breakfast routine. And, your waffle iron will thank you.

This recipe is partly from my standard red Betty Crocker cookbook and partially from my own need to incorporate cinnamon where I can in my day. Oh, and if you need to purchase one cookbook, buy this one!!! It was invaluable to me when I first started cooking here in Tunisia.

Weekend Waffles
2 large eggs
2 cups of flour (you can use all purpose or whole wheat here)
1 and 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil (OK, I never said these were healthy waffles. I have subbed in melted butter or margarine. Use the lesser fat/cholesterol variety if you want.)
1 Tbsp granulated or brown sugar (Brown sugar is nill here on the local market and I do buy mine at the commissary or through Netgrocer. Granulated sugar works just fine.)
4 tsps of baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 shake or 2 of cinnamon (You could also use nutmeg here)


1. Fire up the waffle iron.
***Tip: Before heating up the iron, place a towel or paper towel underneath for any excess batter drippings. Cleanup is a breeze!***
2. Beat eggs in a large bowl with whisk until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients.
3. Pour 2/3 cup of batter onto the heated waffle iron or the recommended amount for your waffle iron. I've found that this might be a trial and error sort of thing.
4. Close lid of waffle iron and bake for 5 minutes OR recommended time. My waffle iron has a red light/green light function which is nice.

Serve immediately with butter and syrup, fresh fruit, peanut butter, or Nutella. Yes, they have Nutella here at the local market.

These waffles freeze extremely well and can be toasted straight from the freezer later in the week. To freeze, leave waffles out on a cookie cooling rack for a couple of hours. Place in freezer tight bags and flat in freezer.

Voila! Now you have no excuse to have cereal on Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment