Thursday, February 4, 2010

Curry Chicken Dippin' Strips and Fried Rice

OK, so Erin and I have been on a chicken kick lately. Like she said, it's easy and you usually can't go wrong with it. I would say that hubby and I have chicken at least 3 times a week, which tells you a lot!

These dishes came from http://www.foodtv.com/ and I made a couple of changes. It's actually 2 recipes (BONUS), and will accommodate protein, starch, and veggies into the meal. Gotta love that.

Oh, and what would a LLOR recipe be without a RANDOM KITCHEN APPLIANCE ALERT!

Chicken Curry Dipping Strips
1 pack of chicken breasts, sliced into strips (usually 3-4 chicken breasts)
1 small container of plain yogurt (I use Activia Nature. It's the closest to non-fat unsweetened.)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 -2 tsp of yellow curry (I have no curry in my spices, believe it or not. To make do, I pulled a small bag of yellow spice that my maid keeps here when she cooks and decided that it kind of smelled like curry. Winner!)
1/2 tsp dried ginger (If you have the real stuff, use it!)

Mix yogurt and spices together and place the cut up chicken in the mix. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1.5 to 2 hours. To cook, lay chicken strips on grill pan, OR use your George Foreman grill like I did. Cook strips through until no longer pink inside and grill marks appear.

I had a jar of peanut satay sauce in my cabinet from Carrefour that I used as a dipping sauce (can you believe it??). Try other sauces from your fridge...get creative!

Fried Rice
2-3 cups of rice, cooked (white or brown, depending on your preference)
4 medium mushrooms, sliced thin (use more or less, depending on what you have)
olive oil
1 egg, slightly beat
4 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup of carrot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
Pinch of red chili flake
1/2 tsp dried ginger (use the fresh if you have it!)
2 TBsp soy sauce
1/2 cup of frozen peas, defrosted, at room temperature

Put a little olive oil in a large fry pan or wok and cook egg with a dash of salt. Remove and cut up egg into square pieces. Wipe out pan and heat up 1 TBsp of olive oil. Cook carrots and green onions in oil for about 1 and 1/2 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, chili powder, ginger, and stir fry for another minute. Add soy sauce, 1TBsp of olive oil, and rice and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes. Finally, add egg and peas and cook until peas are heated through.
For the fried rice, if you have sesame oil or peanut oil, you can use that. I just find that I always have olive oil on hand....especially in Tunisia where it's so inexpensive :).

Enjoy this meal. It was a real winner the other night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment