Monday, October 12, 2009

All hail Caesar Dressing

So I was at my Uncle Jim's house yesterday celebrating his birthday when he said, "Teresa, I want to show you how to make this." He's always been a good cook, but could this be a recipe that I could share on LLOR? Could Lunching Ladies around the world find all of the local ingredients to make Caesar dressing? You bet your pretty anchovy it is!

That's right, all local. Uncle Jim made this in a wooden bowl, but I think a plastic or glass bowl would work too. Oh, and by the way, don't be scared of the ingredients. I think this is the only time I will eat anchovies as they are definitely not on my pizza topping list.


Uncle Jim's Caesar Dressing

1 large garlic clove
salt
1 small/medium anchovy
1 egg
1 TBsp mustard (a brown type works best, but yellow will do if that's all you have)
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/3 cup of olive oil (about)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mince the garlic clove and continue chopping until fine. Sprinkle a little salt on the garlic and mash all together with the fork. Take anchovy fillet and mash in the bowl with a fork. Add garlic clove to anchovy in the bowl and mix together. Add egg to bowl and whisk together with the anchovy, salt, and garlic. Continue adding in mustard and lemon juice separately to bowl by whisking in. Finally, stream in olive oil while whisking. Add salt and pepper to taste. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING....taste the dressing. No one taste should be overpowering. Add extra lemon, mustard, or olive oil to your liking. Refrigerate until you add to salad. Do not store for more than a day.

Oh, and I know I mentioned in an earlier post not to divulge your family secrets, but 1. I asked and 2. It was too good not to post! Tres fantastique!

No comments:

Post a Comment